media partner
football magazine


EFAF is followed by IFAF Europe

London Blitz


22.05.2010 London Blitz

London Blitz defeating Saint Ouen l’Aumône Cougars

The London Blitz American Football Club are through to the semi-finals of the EFAF Cup after defeating Saint Ouen l’Aumône Cougars 26-21.

London Blitz could not be stopped
(c) Amsterdam Crusaders
London Blitz could not be stopped
(c)Amsterdam Crusaders

The Cougars kicked the game off. The low kick was met with roars of anticipation from both sidelines and the crowd in attendance and returned from the 20 yard line by Blitz kick returner and wide receiver Clive Palumbo for 21 yards before he was tackled to the ground. The Blitz offense then took to the field. After some excellent run blocking from the Blitz offensive line and wide receivers, Blitz running back Gareth Dauley galloped 60 yards and into the end zone for the first touchdown of the game. Blitz kicker and Safety Ed Morgan added the point after to give the Blitz and early seven point lead.
The Cougars made their ensuing possession count, marching downfield quickly and scoring a touchdown of their own. Their extra point was good, quickly evening up the score at 7-7. The Blitz offense was forced to punt on its next drive and the Cougars offence took full advantage, scoring on their possession to make the score 13-7. The Cougars then added the point after to give them a seven point lead.
Defensive back Aaron Sanders-Percival gave the Blitz offense great field position, returning the ensuing kick-off to midfield. The Blitz maintained their composure and took full advantage of this great field position with quarterback Fred Boyle finding team captain and wide receiver Rod “Spartan” Bradley through the air and Rod streaking away into the end zone for a 33 yard touchdown. Ed Morgan missed the point after kick, leaving the score 14-13 to the Cougars.
A third down sack by Blitz linebacker Leon Williams on the Cougars next possession forced the Cougars to punt. More effective run blocking by the Blitz offensive line allowed Gareth Dauley to break off a 25 run and score his second touchdown of the game. Ed Morgan added the point after to make the score 20-14 to the Blitz.
A second sack by Blitz defensive lineman and former Cougar Pat “Ice Cream” Yeye on the next Cougars possession set up a third and long situation. The Cougars came up short on third down and elected to go for it on fourth down with a fake punt pass play. The pass was intercepted by Clive Palumbo to force a turnover on downs. The Blitz offense made their possession count with Fred Boyle finding his team captain Rod Bradley through the air again for his second touchdown pass of the afternoon. Ed Morgan missed the extra point, and the score was now 26-14 to the Blitz. The Cougars offense gathered themselves quickly and scored their third touchdown of the game with a long pass play. They added the point after to make the score 26-21 at half-time.
The Blitz kicked off the second half and the kick was returned to the 37 yard line. The Blitz defense remained firm and a third down fumble recovery by Charles “C-Unit” Bradley gave the Blitz offense possession of the football. Despite their good field position, the Blitz offense came to a grinding halt in the red zone. Not content with kicking a field goal, the offense tried to go for it on fourth down, only for quarterback Fred Boyle to fumble the ball and turn over possession.
The Blitz defense remained firm in their resolve and sacks from linebackers Charles Bradley and Thomas Barker and a forced fumble by defensive back Martin Ray that was recovered by linebacker Lloyd Buxton kept the Cougars offense at bay. The Blitz defense then surrendered a long running play, which saw them backed up on their own 13 yard line. With less than 7 minutes remaining in the game, the Blitz defense again held their nerve to force a turnover on downs after some excellent pass defence by defensive back Aaron Sanders-Percival.
The ensuing offensive possession for the Blitz was short lived and the offense were forced to punt. A sack from defensive lineman Edson “Sneezy” Bras on the Cougars’ possession stifled them further. The Cougars tried to make the ‘Hail Mary’ pass, but their attempts were to no avail as their quarterback overthrew his long bombs on two occasions.
A gutsy run for a first down by running back Gareth Dauley secured the victory for the Blitz, allowing quarterback Fred Boyle to run the clock out with 20 seconds remaining in the game. The final score was 26-21 to the Blitz.
After the game, team captain Rod Bradley said: “It’s massive. This is history for the team. It means so much to us. We fought to the whistle on every play.”
Head Coach Mark Moss said: “It’s our first year ever in European competition and we’re now through to the semi-finals. [I’m invoking] the 24 hour rule and the players can enjoy themselves]now but on Monday morning we have to refocus. We mustn’t have any kind of European Cup hangover.”
The Blitz now prepare for the next fixture against the Farnham Knights on May 23rd.
Group D
London Blitz 26131300
Saint Ouen l'Aumône Cougars2114700

European Federation of American Football